Thursday, March 1, 2012

DIY Painted Rug


We moved Anne out of the nursery when Bob was born and into her big girl room. She is still in a crib, but the room also has a queen sized bed and it is decorated in a color palette she can grow into (Grey, Hot Pink, Purple and Lime). Luckily, it was a smooth transition and she loves her new room. The room is fairly large, so I needed a big area rug to fill the space. The 12x15 rugs I liked were all expensive, so when I came across this DIY project I thought I would give it a try. I took two 6x9 Ikea area rugs ($39 each) painted them, and then bound them together to make one large rug. I think it turned out great. Easy and cheap project!

Taping out my pattern... I decided to go with something graphic. I have seen other examples where they used a stencil for a more traditional look.


I only did one coat of paint.

I used an upholstery needle and thread to bind the two rugs together.


Finished project!

1 comment:

  1. Great job! looks fantastic and I'm sure Anne loves it! would be curious to hear how it holds up through the years.

    ReplyDelete